Saturday, August 25, 2007

Glass Factory Road


The title for this etching comes from a road north of Utica, New York- in a town called Holland Patent. I chose it because the jagged angular patterns in the tree trunk and along the horizon (created by relief biting) started to look to me like broken glass. In fact, the whole image is somewhat fractured. I was always taking pictures of broken windows when I used to photograph old mills in Utica and I think those shapes crept into this landscapes. It's an odd association but I think it works.

This print was in a number of shows over the past 12 months including The Parkside National Small Print Exhibition in Wisconsin, The Guanlan International Prints Biennale in China, The Washington Printmakers Gallery National Small Works Show in DC and the Loyola National Works on Paper Exhibition in Chicago.

No comments: